Sunday, June 26, 2005

The Strangest Feeling

So, I nearly fainted the other day. I've never actually fainted, so I don't know how close I was to it. I am a nanny for 2 kids and I took them to the swimming pool for a couple of hours. I was running around outside for the first hour. I laid out by the baby pool for the second hour. When it was time to leave, I took the little girl to the big pool to get her older brother. I started to feel funny, but didn't think much of it. My stomach started hurting and I felt a little disconnected. We got to the big pool and called out for her brother, but he didn't hear me so I started walking around the pool.

Something weird hit me like a brick. Not literally, but you know what I mean. I slid into the nearest chair and tried to look like nothing was happening. Everything got really dim and I was just looking around at everyone (I think my head was bobbing). Some time went by (although I'm not sure how long exactly) and all I could think about was water. My mouth was soooo dry and I felt really dizzy. I mustered up enough energy to walk over to the beach bag that contained my bottle of water. The kids' aunt saw me and told me sit down. I think I told her that I felt funny. She was like "put your head between your knees!" Another lady dunked her beach towel in the pool and put it around my neck. I'm not sure, but I think just about every single person at the pool was looking at me. Someone tried to hand me water, but it was hard to grab because my arm was tingling from my elbow to my pinky finger.

I didn't pass out.

It was just the strangest feeling. I sat there for maybe 10 minutes and then I was fine. I had a headache until I went to bed that night, but I felt fine. It was really weird. Maybe I was just dehydrated. I don't know, but I think I nearly passed out.

8 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, June 26, 2005, Blogger Bobby said...

I knew a girl once who said a certain horror movie almost gave her a nightmare.
I never could understand how one could "almost" have a nightmare.

But sorry for your almost-fainting spell.

It could have been caused by a lot of relatively harmless factors. But if it keeps happening you should get it checked out.

 
At 11:42 AM, June 26, 2005, Blogger Nick Nye said...

That was a typical sign of dehydration! Headache and dizziness are the first signs, then weakness, then...well, you don't want to know. Glad your still kicken.

 
At 10:08 PM, June 26, 2005, Blogger Empty Voice said...

I hear people who almost faint are more spiritual.

 
At 10:13 PM, June 26, 2005, Blogger Prométhiûs said...

whoa..slow down..that was well scary..i mean water is the best beverage...

 
At 10:23 PM, June 26, 2005, Blogger Myrtle Beach Dude said...

Dehydrifying!

Got to drink that H2O!

I was going to
Learn Spanish in Costa Rica
but got sidetracked in Myrtle Beach. Now i speak fluent Redneck!

 
At 2:06 PM, June 28, 2005, Blogger Russ said...

Yo Nikki...I was just online admiring Stuart's mullet on his blog when I found my way to yours. I'm no professional at blogging, but I do know I thing or two about dehydration! You rock!! Give me a holla next time you have another fiesta.

 
At 4:50 PM, June 28, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This happens to me all the time in the summer. Heat Exhaustion. Keep the water handy and listen to that lady about putting your head between your knees. Also, sit down immediately and think about breathing. Don't just assume you are breathing, that when I always pass out. I'm a fainter. Again, welcome to the Ohio Valley.

 
At 8:04 PM, June 28, 2005, Blogger Spider in a Mason Jar said...

Sounds like what happened to me last summer at work. Never passed out, but my arm did the same thing and I started get amnesia. For the most part I only knew my first and last name and that the street I live on is named after an angel (but I couldn't remember which one at the time). I also got sick a lot. The folks at Baptist Hospital ran IV fluids through me and then sorta let me loose in the waiting room where I wondered around the hospital in a strange IV-drugged stupor, not knowing where I was or how to contact home. It was a nightmare. Since then I make sure to drink lots of water, irregardless of the season when I am at work. UPS is bad for that, anyways. Glad you're alright.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home