Monday, May 16, 2005

Best Birthday Gift Ever!

For my 24th birthday, I decided to buy myself a ticket to see Patty Griffin's concert. I met my little brother in Nashville Saturday night and we headed over to the Ryman Auditorium. At first, this was my view:

My View



Once again, being short was the thorn in my side. We did a couple of seat shifts and finally I could see Patty in between people's heads. It was SUCH a great concert. Patty sang better than ever-her CD recordings were even put to shame! She was having so much fun on stage-music is so much more than a job for her.

So, after the show, Billy (my little bro) said "if you want to meet Patty, just wait outside until she comes out." Such a simple idea, but I had never thought about it before. So, we waited until she came out and then took pictures with her!!

Me and Patty Griffin


So, I got to meet my musical hero and have my picture taken with her!! It was the perfect birthday gift!! I could have said a million things to her, but there was a line of people waiting and I know she was tired. I just introduced myself and asked if she would take a picture with me. She smiled and said "sure!" Then Billy threw the camera over to me and jumped by Patty's side. He thinks she's hot.

Billy and Patty Griffin


She has incredible stage presence. She dances around and sings the some really bold notes and melodies. However, she was very meek and quiet in person. Her voice was super sweet and quiet. I love that music brings out a different side of her.

I'm going to share the gospel with Patty Griffin someday. Seriously-she reveals so much of herself in her songs. She can tell a story in 3 1/2 minutes that will have your heart aching and your mind pondering the story for days. I want to sit down with Patty and hear her life story. One interviewer describes her voice as "heart breaking" and her music as conveying an "overwhelming sense of longing."

Listen to this interview with Patty: Interview with Patty Griffin (Just click on the button at the beginning of the story that says "Listen")

Some of my favorite Patty songs are Long Ride Home, Useless Desires, Forgiveness, and Tony. All of these songs are gut wrenching, but tell stories that will stick with you for days. I love Patty's songwriting. She is an amazing singer, but it's her songwriting that makes her stand out among the other artists.

Thanks to everyone who came to my birthday party. This birthday was spectacular, but my favorite part of it all is that I got to meet Patty Griffin!


9 Comments:

At 8:28 AM, May 16, 2005, Blogger Bobby said...

That's great! I'm glad you got a picture (of yourself and Patty, not the head).
We also had to do some "seat shifting" to end up in cool seats for Nickel Creek a couple weeks ago. BUT, they had to hightail it out of Louisville immediately after their set to make a gig in Minneapolis, so ... no chance to meet them.
Patty Griffin is a gifted storyteller.

 
At 5:16 PM, May 16, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And thanks so much for calling and leaving a message on my voicemail to tell me about it at 1:15 on Sunday morning. I love you more than sleep, so it was all good. Seriously, it was the most happy-delirious-exhausted-ecstatic sounding voicemail ever...

 
At 12:32 AM, May 19, 2005, Blogger Lenny said...

Nikki,
That's sweet that you got to meet Patty Griffin. I'm sure I've heard stuff by her, but I can't remember anything, so you'll have to let me here some Patty sometime.
I'm sorry, but I won't be able to make it to your show on Friday, but I'll be across the street, so I'll get to hear you while I park the fancy cars.
Anyhow, give me a shout via email: tavernelli@gmail.com.

 
At 11:51 PM, May 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great you hadan awesome birthday, Nikki!

Mer =)

 
At 12:15 AM, May 20, 2005, Blogger Charlie said...

My name is Charlie. My blog is www.craniumthreads.blogspot.com

I have been to SBTS before to visit my aquantaince Philip Carson. Do you know him? He is married and has a son named Aiden. I think MDiv was his major too, but I'm not sure. Could you respond on my blog so I'll be sure to see it? Thanks.

 
At 10:59 AM, May 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,
I just saw your blog for the first time and really enjoyed it. I am also a student at SBTS (Graham School). I think I have seen you around campus some. As a matter of fact, I think we had Dr. Moore's Systematic 1 class together last fall. It's so cool that you play guitar. I play in the praise team at the church that I go to in Indiana. It's always so cool to hear or read the stories of fellow seminarians. Well, hope to see you around more. By the way, I too am a Calvinist and I am very impressed with the theological content of your blog.

 
At 9:00 PM, May 23, 2005, Blogger Jeff Watkins said...

Hey, thanks for the comment on my site. You should read Blue Like Jazz. It's not the greatest literary wonder of all time, but I swear, it is certainly one of the most readable. I've actually only heard a little Patty Griffin, but I respect her. You like some good music. Check out Pedro The Lion if you haven't already.

 
At 11:41 PM, May 23, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so incredibly awesome that you got to meet your musical hero. I'm happy for you. You deserve it.

It's weird but the two of you actually look similar in that side by side photo.

Haha.

Anyways. I wish I could have made it out last Saturday night on Frankfort, but I had to work.

Keep being beautiful, keep playing beautiful music and always follow your heart.

 
At 5:46 PM, November 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a Christian who also got to see Patty Griffin in concert for my birthday this year--Nov 10th @ the Miracle of Music concert in Paramount Theatre in Austin, Tx. It was a great birthday gift. She's great. That was the 4th time I'd heard her. The first two were in a tiny venue, the Cactus Cafe at the Univ. of Texas. Picture a tiny tiny tiny coffee shop with more people than a fire marshall would ever approve. But, if I'd walked 3 paces, I would've run into her, that's how intimate the venue was. I thought about whether or not she knows the gospel, too, because if you noticed on her Mary song--she makes it very plain in the comments section that the song is about her grandmother, not really about the mother of Christ (?) Huh? The lyrics say otherwise, but it just made me think maybe she really wants to separate herself from the gospel for some reason. Anyhoo, she's talented. Emmylou Harris was at the concert too--excellent!
--Amy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home