Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Half Mexican Show At Java

I'll be playing at the NEW Java on Frankfort THIS THURSDAY from 7:30-9:30 pm. The address is 2309 Frankfort-it's 2 doors down from The Irish Rover. It will be just me (no mandolin or harmony this time), so I'm a bit nervous! I'll be doing originals and covering some 80's-licious tunes, so grab a cup of coffee and sing along.
**************
Also, a few more things are working on www.NikkiTatom.com so check it out! There's still a ton of work to be done, but it's better than a few days ago!
**************
So, today I was mailing some stuff at the post office on campus. One of the janitors is a Hispanic lady and speaks very little English. She was trying to mail something, so she was attempting to communicate with an older Caucasion woman behind the counter. It took me awhile to realize the miscommunication that was occuring, but the voice of the older Caucasion woman finalized the occurance. She called out to me "You look like someone who knows Spanish-can you help us?" I was cracking up! I mean, I am half-Mexican, so she called it, but it was just funny.

I played it off and with the typical "Sure-I can help." Little did she know that I grew up speaking NO Spanish whatsoever (except what my really white dad taught me-that's a whole nother blog, though). I took 2 years in high school and 2 years in college, but haven't retained much of it.

Anyway-I arrogantly walked up to the counter and said to the Hispanic lady "Hola! No hablo mucho Espanol, pero la familia de mi madre es de Mexico!" (Hi! I don't speak very much Spanish, but my mom's family is from Mexico!) I don't have a clue what the said back. It was fast, though. Really fast. I heard something that sounded like passport, so I used that and...I don't know. I didn't really help, but she mailed whatever she was trying to mail and the Caucasion ladies thought I was fluent in Spanish. Oh, the delight of being half Mexican! I can trick old Caucasion ladies in a heart beat!

I walked away with a half white/half Mexican smirk on my face.

12 Comments:

At 7:59 AM, March 29, 2005, Blogger Bobby said...

That's hilarious.
My cousin builds houses, and tans easily so he is a very dark white boy. He also likes to play soccer. A couple years ago he was in a local soccer league, and most of the guys on his team were migrant Mexican workers. They kept hollering things to him in Spanish, but he had no idea what they were saying so he kept saying.
He could see his teammates were starting to get angry with him, so finally during a break he said "No Espanol. American." His teammates all started laughing. They'd thought he was a Mexican too, because of his complexion. They'd been trying to tell him to pass the ball, and they had no idea he didn't speak Spanish. They just thought he was rude.

 
At 11:20 AM, March 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting, my beloved girlfriend is also part Mexican. What is it about being part Mexican that seems to breed awfully beautiful women? Hmmph...

 
At 11:56 AM, March 30, 2005, Blogger Micah said...

I was checking out your website just now and wondering, is there any way I can hear a sampling of some of your music?

 
At 12:55 PM, March 30, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, the blessedness of half-ethnicities. I'm half-Korean so I'm always getting weird questions from people about Asian culture, and not just Korean culture but any country in the eastern hemisphere. The weirdest experience I had with my ethnicity was in Thailand - apparently many of their celebrities/models/actresses are half Asian (they tend to think that "le crueng" (literally, "half child") are more attractive). I got hit on my a Buddhist monk and was asked out by a professor at the university I was tutoring at.. it was a very bizzare experience.

 
At 10:16 PM, March 30, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ya nikki i know what you mean its hard being half mexican and the other half of me being white. Im just like you, we gotta stick together you know what im saying essay?(ya i know i just typed essay - like a school paper. but you know what i mean...i mean it the hispanic way.haha)well see you later miha.

 
At 10:49 PM, March 30, 2005, Blogger Lenny said...

Whoa Nikki! That means you're like, half not Mexican. What's the other half of you?
Also, I have to apologize that I will not be able to make your show. I have to head to Dayton for a wedding I'm in. This is the second show of yours I'll be missing because of a wedding, and neither of them are mine. I'll really try to make it out to a show to hear you some time.

 
At 11:56 PM, March 30, 2005, Blogger Nikki Leigh Daniel said...

Micah-
I should have audio up soon (hopefully in the next couple of weeks). I will probably put something on MySpace for the time being. I'll let you know when I get something online.

Thanks for asking!
nikki

 
At 1:58 AM, March 31, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there Nike, your website is coming along nicely! your pictures are great! I'm so excited that you are having the opportunity to expand on your musical talent there in Kentucky! what a blessin! I'm praying for you sista!
could you please email me ya'lls mailing address!
also keep Laura S. in your prayers, she is planning to have the baby later today-3/31/05
miss you friend!! ~meagan

 
At 12:14 PM, March 31, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Nikki- your website looks great. Mersing =)

 
At 4:57 PM, March 31, 2005, Blogger Bobby said...

It does.

Break a leg tonight, Nikki. Metaphorically. A metaphorical leg only.

 
At 2:33 PM, April 01, 2005, Blogger Bobby said...

Great show (even though I missed most of it). B-Dog isn't one for impromptu join-ins, though. Now, if I'd had my harmonica in my pocket ....

 
At 10:24 PM, April 01, 2005, Blogger Jason Ramage said...

Nikki, I totally forgot about your show Thursday night. I didn't even get home til 6:30 and got distracted with chores and stuff. I'll definitely plan on making the next one and even do my laundry ahead of time so I won't end up having to pick between going to a show and having clean underwear the next day.

Well, that was probably more than you needed to know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home