Sunday, February 27, 2005

Quite a Scene

So, I caused quite a scene this evening. A terrible scene, actually. A scene that involved 3 police cars, an ambulance, a fire truck, and a whole slew of witnesses.

I was on Cherokee Parkway turning left onto Bardstown Road. This big ole bus was coming from my left and I thought "okay, after this bus passes, I'm good to turn." Well, the bus pulled over to my immediate left to pick some people up, so I (thinking it was clear) turned left. Mid-turn I saw a motorcyclist coming straight towards me. It was so fast, but so slow at the same time. I hit the motorcycle SO hard. It stayed in front of/underneath my car, but the driver flew/slid behind my back tires somehow. It was seriously the scariest thing I've ever experienced.

I'll spare you the details, but let's just say that the Lord is so incredibly gracious. The guy was wearing a helmet and motorcyle safety jacket and didn't even get a scratch. The motorcycle, however, was totaled. One of the officers said that she couldn't believe that the guy wasn't hurt really badly.

I was (am) really shaken up. I was 100% more scared than the guy on the motorcyle. There was one point (when I called to tell my dad) when he was comforting me! Because this was my first real wreck, I have really freaked out since it happened.

I'm reminded of the fraility of life. I mean, it's something that we all know: just about anything can happen at any given moment. You can blink and your entire life can change or even end. It's something that I know in my mind, but it has now dropped down into my heart. What really matters in life? It is not cars, money, fame, or academics. No, these things are merely temporary. Jesus is eternal. Jesus is the treasure. Jesus is what really matters.

So, please consider what I am saying. These temporary things (yes, even blogs) have no significance if they dishonor Jesus.

A homeless man witnessed the accident. He came up to the motorcyclist and said "God must have been with you because that was really bad." It's true. Praise the Lord that He shed his grace on us this evening.

12 Comments:

At 12:48 PM, February 27, 2005, Blogger Del said...

Nikki,
Wow. That sounds pretty scary. Glad to hear that you are okay. Car accidents can really freak anybody out.

P.S. Sorry that I missed the party last night. I had to work until midnight at On the Border.

 
At 3:03 PM, February 27, 2005, Blogger Amanda said...

Nikki,
Glad to hear you're okay. Just wanted you to know, since I think you're fairly new to town, if your car sustained any damage, I can recommend some repair shops that will give you an honest price and do great work. Hopefully there wasn't much damage, but if you need any pointers, I can help you out.
~Amanda Craycraft

 
At 7:14 PM, February 27, 2005, Blogger Nikki Leigh Daniel said...

Amanda-
Thank you! I actually might take you up on that offer. I don't know of any places here. I will email you (if you address is on the Sojourn site).

Del-the party was awesome! You'll have to join us next time.

 
At 8:22 AM, February 28, 2005, Blogger leslie said...

Nikki,

Oh my gosh!! I remember my first "real" wreck, I was shaken up from it for a while. I'm so glad you're ok!! How's your car?

 
At 2:59 PM, March 01, 2005, Blogger Lorie said...

I, too, am so glad you're okay! Scary.

So...did you ever talk to Bert?

 
At 7:15 PM, March 01, 2005, Blogger Nikki Leigh Daniel said...

My car is okay-there is some repair that needs to be done, but honestly I don't care about the car. I'm SO thankful that the guy is alive!

Lori-to answer you question...yes, Bert and I have been e-mailing!

Bert, I'll let you finish the answer...

 
At 10:35 PM, March 01, 2005, Blogger Alex & Laura Beth said...

Bert, we will be meeting. How does Friday lunch sound for everyone? Nikki? Bert? Ryan? Chase? Etc.?

 
At 1:20 AM, March 02, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise God that you and the guy are ok!
Maybe one day it'll be like star trek where you can just be beamed to the location you want to be, and we won't have to deal with cars any longer! oh yeah, that will be sweet!
LOL
~meagan

 
At 1:12 PM, March 02, 2005, Blogger leslie said...

sorry, Laura Beth, I'll be in Houston :-)

 
At 4:40 AM, March 03, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey there friend, i have a live journal now: check it out

http://www.livejournal.com/users/megawaffle/

 
At 1:21 PM, March 04, 2005, Blogger Nikki Leigh Daniel said...

Yea, Meagan!! I'm so excited! I'll check it out soon and add a link from here.
Thanks for sharing!

 
At 11:16 PM, March 05, 2005, Blogger Tom said...

Wow I'm glad to hear no one was hurt. Even with or without insurance.....driving is still scary enough, especially in this town.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home