Wednesday, January 26, 2005

On a serious note...


An amazing photo taken by Alex O'Nan (www.camerapocket.net)

Have you ever wondered what your purpose is on earth? I think about this quite a bit. I mean, I just think "God, why did you create me? Why me? The world would go on without me." Sometimes I wonder what life would be like if I were born in a third world country. Sometimes I wonder what life would be like if I were born with red hair. Sometimes I wonder what life would be like if I were born with just one big nostril instead of two.

Anyway, at the risk of sounding "over spiritual," this is how I see my purpose on earth. I picture an extremely chaotic scene. Some people are laughing out loud. Some are weeping with all their might. Some are yelling "look at me!" Some are quietly watching the scene while others are absorbed in each other. This is how I see the world. This is the overall scene of humans regardless of culture, time, or place.

All the while, God Almighty is seated on His throne. Jesus is by his father's side ready to return to the earth and His Spirit is interacting with the world. The scene is so wild that people do not see beyond thier own selves, comforts, or experiences. I am in the mix of the the chaos amazed with the beauty of the Spirit and the glory of God. I watch as the Spirit makes himself known to some of the people. Those people become engrossed with God.

I keep pointing to God on his throne, Jesus ready to return to the earth, and the Spirit interacting with the people. I keep saying "look at Him! He is beautiful! He is in control! Jesus is coming back!" I run around to people and try to get them to look at these incredible things. I believe that this is my purpose on earth. It sounds "wacko religious" I know, but it's a cool picture.

It's so easy to get caught up in the routine of daily life and not think about eternal things. But I want to remember that my purpose on earth is not to accumulate "stuff" or become famous, but rather to point to His fame.

I love this website called Desiring God (www.DesiringGod.org). You can type in any topic and it will pull up articles and messages on whatever topic you choose.

Does anyone else think about this stuff or am I the only wacko religious person out there?





4 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, January 27, 2005, Blogger Lorie said...

Even if you were the only "wack religious person out there", it's a beautiful picture!

I do think about it alot---is my life really counting for something? am I making God known or just getting in the way? That kind of stuff.

 
At 1:16 PM, January 27, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey..Shane Bernard is so wonderful. He attends my church when he is not touring or traveling. So humble and gracious w/a heart for Christ.

In Him,
Francesca

 
At 2:17 AM, February 06, 2005, Blogger meow said...

Hey Nikki,
You're not alone. Wondering about my purpose here on earth is just about the only thing I think about everyday for the past year - not just the purposes that we all as believers have, but also the very unique & specific purpose that He has put me on this earth for. Though I am still finding the answer to that, I'm really blessed to have also re-discovered the purposes that God has for all of us who believe in Jesus' lordship. (Thanks to the book "Purpose-Driven Life by Rick Warren.) Sometimes we get so busy with life & with the mundane, that we question "Is there any purpose to this at all?" I suppose that's when we have to keep believing that God has put us where we are for a reason, & He will uncover that mystery in due time. : ) Thanks, sista, for sharing your vision. Keep the faith!

 
At 12:00 PM, December 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so very much for taking your time to create this very useful and informative blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home