Thursday, February 10, 2005

The Secret Weapon

It was approximately one hour before our first intramural basketball game. For some reason, I kept knocking things down. First, I knocked over the stack of pictures by my desk. Next, I tried to throw my Chicken Voila package in the trashcan and knocked over the trash. This was not a good sign.

I arrived at our basketball game about five minutes early. I walked in and my team was standing by the door. My teammates were holding their breath in anticipation. They let out a huge sigh of relief when they saw me.

"Nikki! We thought you'd never get here! After all, you are The Secret Weapon," said Chris Lawrence, the team captain.

We won the game. Oh, sweet victory! We won the game!

Now, let's put aside the fact that my name is last on the team roster. (I think that after they pick teams, they reverse the roster so the last people picked don't feel bad). Let's put aside the fact that I am only 5'0 tall. My fiesty-ness makes up the height issue. And finally, let's put aside the fact that we were playing against Josh's team. Josh is monster of a guy. He created the highlight of the entire game.

We were on defense and I was guarding my guy sooooo close. I was right there with him and he couldn't get around me. So, what did the opposing team do? They set up a screen. Josh screened me. Josh is about 5 times bigger than me. I heard the crowd gasp in unison. That's when I realized that I was flying through the air. I hit Josh's screen SO hard that I went flying. My entire body was off of the ground. I landed on my side and stared blankly toward the crowd. I was stunned.

I was a little embarrassed, so I hopped right up, said a little something to Josh, and kept playing my hardest. It kinda hurt, though. I mean, not THAT bad. Shoot. I'm tough. I'm 5'0 of pure meat. I'm The Secret Weapon.

Anyway-we won. Our next game is Monday at 8:30. Come watch The Secret Weapon in action.

9 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, February 11, 2005, Blogger Alex & Laura Beth said...

Nikki, Keri and I are cracking up at this picture! Framer! Framer!

 
At 11:56 AM, February 11, 2005, Blogger Nikki Leigh Daniel said...

Yeah, I look like the coaches daughter or something. Or like I'm the coach. The midget coach.
OH! Be sure to show Dr. Drake this picture! He will love it-tell him that a midget randomly ran in and got in this picture. And that nobody noticed until the picture came out.

 
At 12:02 AM, February 12, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see it now. Tatom...frantically side-stepping back and forth in front of her man. Her head turning back and forth..."What do I do? What do I do?" Then WHAM! POW! OOF! SLAM! UGH!

...on the floor...

I am sure the thoughts running through her head went something like this...

Is this just a spell of Vertigo or am I really Like a Rolling Stone in these Strawberry Fields of Chicago? For some reason I feel like Henry the Eighth and I've just seen Jesus. I know that Billy Jean is not my lover but why does it always seem to be Tainted Love with a Hot Calvinist Guy? No Diggity? No doubt. Maybe if someone would just pour some sugar on me I could get up and take that pity clap for all it's worth.

 
At 1:20 AM, February 12, 2005, Blogger Chad Lewis said...

It was once said that everyone has talent. It is a rare thing to follow that talent into the darkness where it leads. The darkness might be a basketball court with members that will share the bliss of victory and the tears of defeat. Arise and shake off the dust for you have lived to play another game. Just remember, it is not about who wins or loses, it is how you look during warmups.

 
At 11:34 AM, February 12, 2005, Blogger Alex F said...

Love the picture. You do look like the team mascot.

I'll have to tell you guys about the time I found myself laying face down in a pool of my own blood on that court...

 
At 5:27 PM, February 13, 2005, Blogger leslie said...

Jeff, that took some serious talent. Props man, props!

 
At 11:04 AM, February 14, 2005, Blogger Nikki Leigh Daniel said...

Alex-
Okay! You can't just leave us with "I'll have to tell you about the time I found myself lying face down in a pool of my own blood." And then NOT tell the story! Do tell! Do tell!

 
At 10:29 PM, February 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Secret Weapon SCORED tonight!!!!! And they won by a ton of points! Good job Blue team!
Kris

 
At 10:45 AM, February 16, 2005, Blogger Alex F said...

It's not as great a story as the image suggests. Maybe I'll tell on my blog just to reminisce

 

Post a Comment

<< Home