Sunday, January 30, 2005

The Pity Clap

Today I had the privilege of leading music with Jason Dees at his church in Indiana. (By the way, I call Jason "Chinese Jason Dees." If you're wondering why, just ask him about "House and Tiger! House and Tiger!"). We had a great time, but there were some confusing parts. For example, while the kids were lighting the candles, he motioned for me to play something. I didn't have anything prepared, so I picked up my guitar and started playing the first thing that came into my mind. It was Patty Griffin's "Moses."

When the horror of "special music" came, I was in for a major bump in the road. It was just me and my guitar. I started playing "Come Thou Fount" in the key of "G" like normal. When it was time to start singing, I tried to find my first note and ended up singing all over the place(microphone on). I sounded like a hyena or something. I looked at Jason and he just shook his head at me and smiled. That's when I noticed...

I FORGOT TO PUT MY CAPO ON MY GUITAR! (dun, dun, duuuuuunn!)

Oh, the horror! I was in a key 5 half-steps lower than I normally sing the song in. So, I just played like nothing happened and started singing like a man. I'm talking LOW. I made it through the first verse and wanted to die. It was terrible. So, I stopped and said "hope ya'll don't mind...I'm just gonna put this capo on my guitar."

I put the capo and made it through the song. It was horrible. That's when I received the pity clap.

There were like 5 old people clapping really slow while everyone else just kinda looked around. Honestly, that was more than I deserved. They were so sweet to encourage me with applause, but I was so embarrassed that I wanted to run off stage and peel out of the parking lot, never to return. But after the service, an old man came up and told me that I should leave my PA System up and come back next week. So sweet.

Thanks, sir, but I think I'll take my pity clap and stay home.

8 Comments:

At 2:12 PM, January 31, 2005, Blogger Alex & Laura Beth said...

Nikki-Nik, I am seriously laughing out loud at this story. I really hope that it was as funny as I am imagining it to be.

 
At 1:38 PM, February 01, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds so funny... but really I feel for ya.

Mer :)

 
At 10:47 PM, February 01, 2005, Blogger Alex F said...

Slap-yo-mama funny

 
At 11:38 PM, February 01, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nikki,

Girl, you kept playing. You went on anyway. There aint no pity in that. Keep strummin away, girl!! :-)

Love ya,
Jenna

 
At 2:15 PM, February 02, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my 'Goot-Ness' Nike! That story is hilarious! I'm so proud that you didn't run off the stage!!
I remember singing with John at U of H one time at a bible study and was so nervous that nothing came out when I starting singing, just breathing noises and maybe a word here and there... I was shaking and fealt like throwing up. it was so Horrible!! later one girl said that I looked like i was overwhelmed by the Holy Spirit and that's why i couldn't sing.
Pretty funny stuff!
~meagan

 
At 7:22 AM, February 03, 2005, Blogger DAVID C. PRICE said...

Wow, I'm glad to know that you're having such good experiences here at seminary. {:-\ It was good to hear from you. Didn't have your email to write back to you, but drop me a line and let me know how everything is going. I'm not sure if I knew you settled on SBTS, did I? dcp@insightbb.com.

 
At 12:28 PM, February 04, 2005, Blogger Nikki Leigh Daniel said...

Okay, in case ya'll didn't read this in my "Three Hot Calvinist Guys" post, Meagan Galbraith is THE funniest girl I've ever met! Meag-this comment is sooo hilarious! I love the breathy half singing thing! Ohmygosh-the fact that you were SO filled with the Holy Spirit is incredible! :)

 
At 12:35 PM, February 04, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nikki!
I have a story like that to make you feel better. I was in a band before I got married called 3GP.
We had our first concert and I had to be there late b/c of work, so I didn't even get to warm up or set up w/ them. So the other acoustic guitar player said that I could send my guitar w/ him, and he would set it up and tune it for me.
So, great. What a plan!

So we get up on the stage, all excited, get ready to start - and I hit that first chord, and it sounded like....a cat who got its tail stuck in a car.
I could NOT figure out what was wrong with it. So our first concert, I didn't even play...I just had to fake it the whole way through.

After the concert was over, I started trying to figure out what on earth was wrong. Come to find out, the guy had picked up the BASS tuner, and had tuned my acoustic guitar w/ the bass tuner. NOT pretty. I still swear to this day that he booby-trapped me so that he could be the star.

-Rachel Huseman

 

Post a Comment

<< Home