Thursday, September 01, 2005

I'm a Believer

The Apocrypha is one of the most debated set of books in Christian history. Many people argue that these books are non-canonical, but are still useful for the Christian life. In a recent lecture, Dr. Plummer pointed out that the hymn penned by Martin Rinkart "Now Thank We All Our God" was based on Martin Luther's translation of Sirach 50:22-24.

Now thank we all our God
With heart and hands and voices,
Who wondrous things hath done,
In whom His world rejoices;
Who, from our mother's arms,
Hath blessed us on our way
With countless gifts of love,
And still is ours today.
O may this bounteous God
Through all our life be near us,
With ever joyful hearts
And blessed peace to cheer us;
And keep us in His grace,
And guide us when perplexed,
And free us from all ills
In this world and the next.

Also, the famous Christmas song "It Came Upon A Midnight Clear" is based out of a passage in The Wisdom of Solomon:

"For while gentle silence enveloped all things, and night in its swift course was now half gone, your all-powerful word leaped from heaven, from the royal throne." (Wisdom 18:14-15).
I've been thinking about this for a few days now. Is it honoring to the Lord to sing songs to Him based on books from the Apocrypha? This leads to me ask if it is honoring to the Lord to sing songs to him based on "Let the Nations be Glad" or "Mere Christianity." In the beginning, I was surprised and a bit standoffish to find out that I had been singing songs based on apocryphal writings. After much thought, though, I now believe that we can honor the Lord by worshiping Him with songs based on books outside of the Canon. I've written songs of worship from points in sermons or books that are not word-for-word Scripture.

However, if these sermons and books are not taken from the truths of the Bible, then they are in vain. If, for example, we were to stand a sing a song about Paul and Thecla’s love for each other, that would not honor the Lord. If I were to sing a song based on Ashley Simpson's latest "hit," that would probably not honor the Lord.

To my embarrassment, I will confess that I have, indeed, worshipped God to a song by The Monkee's entitled "Now I'm a Believer." It's a bit embarrassing, but I even played it on the guitar and sang out "Then I saw His face! Now I'm a believer. Without a trace of doubt in my mind. I'm in love...oooooohhhhhhh...I'm a believer, I couldn't leave Him if I tried!" No, seriously. I actually did that. But I was worshipping. And I think those words are Biblical.

Anyway-I am becoming more aware of the songs that I am singing. Are these words actual truths from Scripture or are they merely man's words that happen to rhyme and sound good together? The big debate today concerning music in the church is tradition versus contemporary. The debate should be Biblical truth versus shallow rhymes. And if you want to worship by singing “I’m a Believer” by the Monkee’s, please do so in the privacy of your own home.

13 Comments:

At 6:15 PM, September 01, 2005, Blogger Donna S. said...

Do you agree that songwriting changes after attending seminary? I find it easier in some ways but more difficult in others... we read so much material that there is more knowledge to draw from when writing about God, but I am more cautious and concerned that I'm compromising the message to compensate for rhyme, measure, etc.

Oh, and just a note: When I was in high school I was in a church puppet team that included a puppet rock band called the Neon Band (complete with fake guitars, drums, and neon skin and dreadlocks). The Neon Band performed an assortment of songs, including the rewritten "Christian" version of "I'm a Believer." ...it was one of our favorite songs to perform. So know that I will not question your salvation if I hear you humming it in the halls at school. ;)

 
At 8:10 PM, September 01, 2005, Blogger Russ said...

Welcome back, pal! We've missed ya! By the way...So what is Erin's secret blog address??? I would like to place it as a link on my blog. :)

 
At 8:14 PM, September 01, 2005, Blogger ckjolly said...

When I Don't Desire God: How To Fight For Joy ... that's another book with many portions that I would love to hear in song form.

 
At 9:00 PM, September 01, 2005, Blogger leslie said...

I think we need to be more discerning about the songs we sing, regardless if we go to seminary or not.
I think it's fine to sing a song based on Apocryphal writings as long as we aren't singing false things to God. I do think that most of our worship songs are pretty lame. I sang a song last week in church, which lines were, "I'm free to love, I'm free dance, I'm free to lift my voice."
Anyone can sing those words; the song doesn't even mention God in the lyrics, even though there might be God implications.

 
At 6:50 AM, September 02, 2005, Blogger Spider in a Mason Jar said...

Although, coming from quite a different ecclesiastical background than most folks that reply to this blog (I'm Catholic, and more Augustinian in philosophy when concerning predestination), I would consider the Deuterocanonical books to not be so readily lobbed into the category of "Apocrypha" (which is a word I would more readily use to refer to such books as the books of Enoch and the Nag Hamadi codices, for example). But, that's neither here nor there. This reply is not to argue the differences between Catholics, near Catholics, and the various Protestant faiths.


Instead, I wish to point out the Epistle of Jude. This draws extensively from the apocryphal works of Enoch (Which, ironically, was written a considerable amount of time after Enoch's time and, as all apocryphal books, were not actually "hidden" as the word "apocrypha" suggests. They were very well known during the time of the First Covenant, but not accepted as part of the Jewish Canon).
Admittedly, a popular song doesn't hold a candle to a book of the New Testament, but perhaps there is some sort of point to be gleaned from the fact that St. Jude felt it worthwhile to make frequent reference to a book that otherwise has no part in the Word of God. And, if so, then perhaps it is applicable to our songs in question... My brain is starting to drain and I'm losing my train of thought-- a commonality among 3rd shift UPSers/college students. So, goodbye and may God bless ya'll.
Peace,
Danny

P.S.-- Anyone know folks at SBTS by the names of Chuck Hoetzler (I hope I spelled that right) or Alan Mast?

 
At 8:35 AM, September 02, 2005, Blogger Bobby said...

Good post. Of course, many worship songs are "Theology Lite," and some are even downright wrong.
As far as singing songs based on non-Biblical books, tunes, etc., I would say that this has always been done in the Church, and is not wrong insofar as the song expresses Biblical truth.

Martin Luther set many of his hymns to the tune of bawdry tavern songs, so I think you're safe to rewrite I'm A Believer. Tacky, maybe, but safe. 8-)

 
At 8:58 AM, September 02, 2005, Blogger Alex & Laura Beth said...

Hey spider in a mason jar...I know Chuck and Karen. How do you know them?

 
At 9:18 AM, September 02, 2005, Blogger Spider in a Mason Jar said...

I used to work with Chuck at UPS. He's a great guy

 
At 11:58 AM, September 02, 2005, Blogger thad said...

Um, "believer" and "leave Him" don't rhyme. I'm just sayin'...

And I think I've witnessed a few worse than the Monkees. Nelson's "Do I, do I love you baby..." rewritten for Jesus comes to mind.

 
At 7:06 PM, September 02, 2005, Blogger Laura said...

How about "Hands" by Jewel or Alanis Morissette songs sung in worship with little or no changes? Truly horrifying, but I've heard it done. Or any song that replaces "baby" with "Jesus," or puts slightly sexual words with Christian themes... what was that Debbie Gibson one... "How can it be wrong, when it fee-eels so right?" (Shudder)
That said, Luther wasn't the only one to write hymns to the tune of drinking songs. The Wesley boys, authors of some of our most beloved hymns, did the same, as did many other street revivalists. What better way to get your target audience to remember the truths of the Gospel message?

 
At 11:19 PM, September 03, 2005, Blogger Laura said...

That's a big AMEN from me, Rabby. And a verse or two of Victory in Jesus to accompany the AMEN!

 
At 2:54 PM, September 07, 2005, Blogger Sean said...

I actually just posted on my blog why we should hold the Deuterocanonicals. Check it out. Let me know what you think.

 
At 4:29 PM, September 07, 2005, Blogger Sean said...

For some reason my blog address isn't showing up in my profile.

summavitae.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home